Need coyote removal in your hometown? We service over 500 USA locations! Click here to hire us in your town and check prices - updated for year 2020.
How to Keep away coyotes
There are many methods you can use to keep coyotes away in order to prevent damage. Regardless of the coyote removal method you use, you should focus on preventing damage rather than eliminating coyotes since it is not practical or wise to kill off all coyotes.
Good fences are important in reducing the predation of livestock by coyotes and they also increase the effectiveness of other types of coyote removal methods such as traps and snares. With the recent developments that have taken place in fencing design and equipment, this is an economically practical and effective coyote removal method. It protects sheep from predation under certain grazing conditions. The following are some of the fences that you can use.
- Net wire fence – When you opt to use this fence, make sure that the horizontal spacing of the mesh is less than six inches and that the vertical spacing is less than four inches.
- Electric fence – recent designs of electric fences have all wires charged and the spacing between wires varies. An electric fence with thirteen strands is ideal for coyote removal. It offers complete protection to sheep from coyotes.
Coyotes usually kill sheep at night and the best way to keep them away is to build corrals that coyotes cannot enter. Another thing is to install lights in the corrals.
Frightening devices are important in coyote removal because they prevent losses from taking place. They should not be used when predation is not a problem and in order to prevent acclimation, you can increase their effectiveness by changing their appearance, position or the frequency of using them. You can also use them in a number of combinations. Some of the frightening devices that you can use for coyote removal include the following.
1080 livestock protection collar
- Lights – Coyotes are less likely to attack livestock in lighted corrals and they are also more vulnerable upon entering a lighted area. Coyotes usually use a pattern of killing that is very predictable. If this happens in a lighted corral, you can wait downwind or above of the corral and shoot the coyote as it enters. Lights that flash or revolve can frighten coyotes away.
- Bells and radios – They are effective in temporarily deterring away coyotes.
- Vehicles – They reduce predation temporarily and can be used as a comfortable blind that you can wait in and shoot offending coyotes.
- Propane exploders – These coyote removal device produce loud sounds at timed intervals after a measured amount of propane gas is ignited by a spark. The time between explosions varies from about one to fifteen minutes in most exploders.
- Electronic guard – This frightening device is also effective in coyote removal. It contains a siren and a strobe of light that is controlled by a variable interval timer, which is activated in the night with a photoelectric cell.
This is the other product that is effective for coyote removal. It selectively kills coyotes that attack goats or sheep. This collar is placed on goats or sheep that pasture in areas that coyotes are likely to attack them. The collar contains 300 milligrams of compound 1080 solution. Due to the position and design of the collar on the throat, most coyotes that attack sheep or goats puncture it and ingest the toxicant.
Trapping is another effective coyote removal method and you can enhance it by using the following trapping tips. The first thing to note is that coyotes learn from events that were frightening or unpleasant and usually avoid such experiences in the future. Coyotes often limit their movements to small areas in the spring and summer seasons but roam over larger areas in the fall and winter. They also usually follow regular crossways and paths and prefer knolls and high hills. Good locations for placing coyote removal traps are in coyote tracks like along old roads that they have preferred to hunt, travel, roam, rest or howl. You should set traps to one side of a trail where they may stop such a close to a gate, hilltop or in areas where ground cover changes.
Shooting – This is the other effective coyote removal method. It is one of the best choices for removing coyotes and is legal in many situations.
More in-detail how-to coyote removal articles:
Information about coyote trapping - analysis and methods for how to trap.
Information about how to kill a coyote - with poison or other methods.
Information about how to catch a coyote - remove one stuck in the house.
Information about coyote repellent - analysis of types and effectiveness.
The coyote has an appearance that is similar to that of a small collie dog. It has a slender muzzle, a bushy tail and pointed ears. Its predominant color is brownish gray with a belly that is light gray to cream colored. However, the color of coyotes varies greatly with some of these animals having nearly red, black or white coats. Coyotes can be found living in Canada, Mexico and allover the United States from Hawaii. They select their prey depending on how easy it is to catch it. For instance, they tend to kill weak animals or those that are young and inexperienced. They also eat fruits like berries and watermelons.
Problems they cause
Coyote removal is important because of the problems they cause. For instance, they damage a number of resources such as poultry, livestock and crops like watermelons. At times, coyotes prey on pets and are a threat to public safety and health when they enter airports and residential areas. They are also carriers of rabies. The main concern that necessitates coyote removal is predation on livestock mainly lambs and sheep. They can kill a number of animals during a single attack but usually feed on a single animal. In order to control the damage caused by coyotes, it is essential to use a number of coyote removal methods.
This site is intended to provide education and information about how to keep coyotes away from your house, yard, garbage cans, shed, so that you can make an informed decision
if you need to deal with a coyote problem. This site provides many coyote control articles and strategies, if
you wish to attempt to solve the problem yourself. If you are unable to do so, which is likely with many
cases of coyote removal, please go to the home page and click the USA map, where I have wildlife removal experts
listed in over 500 cites and towns, who can properly help you with keeping away coyotes.
Click here to
read more about how to get rid of coyotes.