If you need snake help, click on my Nationwide List of Snake Removal Experts for a pro near you.
Just hearing the word snake may make you want to ball up in a knot and send shivers all through your body. So, just imagine knowing that your property or home is infested with them. You’re probably packing and on your way out the door at this very moment. The truth is that some snakes can actually benefit your garden by eating the rodents that find pleasure in ruining it. Still, if you can’t fathom the idea of sharing your home and garden with snakes, then you might have tried using some of these repellants.
Keeping Your Yard Clean
Snakes love to hang out in areas where they can hide until their next meal comes strolling by and if you have thick leaves, bushes, tall gardens and shrubbery in your yard, it’s time to get rid of it. Not only are you assisting them with catching their next meal, but you’re making it easy for them to travel without being seen. If you maintain a clean yard with a low cut grass, snakes won’t feel as comfy because they’ll be more open to attacks by their own predators such as owls. Keeping your yard clean includes keeping compost piles at a distance from your yard. You might find a snake resting between the gaps waiting to cool off from the heat.
Eliminating Food Sources
As you may already know, snakes like to devour rats, mice, insects and other rodents, so if you have a problem with any of these around your home, then it’s going to be quite difficult to get rid of snakes. They’re not leaving as long as there’s food to be gotten. Treating your yard for these pests can actually send the snakes in search for food somewhere else. However, it’s important to keep in mind that some chemicals used to keep the other rodents and insects away have harmful chemicals in them that can make your garden veggies and fruits unsafe to eat.
Mothballs and Cat Litter
Yeah it sounds crazy but according to some, 10 cups of cat litter and 10 cups of mothballs mixed together in a container and allowed to sit for 48 hours just might do the trick when trying to repel snakes. People claim that snakes don’t like the smell of mothballs and hate the way the liter feels and sticks to their skin. The mixture can be applied outside around your yard, garden and other areas that you may not want snakes to be. This may deter other animals as well; however, the use of mothballs in this manner can be dangerous if small children and pets accidently get a hold of them. Not to mention, the chemicals from the moth balls can seep into the soil and make its way into your drinking water. Read more about homemade snake repellent
Considering snakes do not like strong smells, many people have used sulfur to keep them away from their yard and home and all you have to do is place enough along the fence line of your yard. You can place it around your garden and even around the foundation of your barn. Sulfur is an ingredient used in many types of snake repellants sold in stores, but the smell that sends the snake slithering in the other direction is the same smell that will send people in the other direction as well. It’s too bad that the snakes aren’t the only ones that can smell it. While deterring snakes with sulfur might work, it’s dangerous to have near your home when you have children and pets. Oh, and let’s not forget, if you have snakes hanging around in your yard already, putting down the sulfur may actually prevent them from leaving.
It’s very common for people to use cinnamon oil and other oil essentials to repel snakes because they can have a smell that is literally offensive to them. These oils are normally sprayed in smaller areas such as crawl spaces and in the corners of your garage. Some people even soak disposable towels in the oil and place them in areas where snakes might show up. Now, this might work in areas where a snake can actually get into your home, but it doesn’t repel them from your backyard and since oil typically dries up much faster than other types of liquid, you might find yourself applying it more often. This is a temporary solution that will cost you a lot of money to maintain.
More in-detail how-to snake removal articles:
Information about snake trapping
- analysis and methods for how to trap.
Information about how to kill a snake
- with fumigants or poison.
Information about how to catch a snake
- remove one stuck in the house.
Information about snake repellent
- analysis of types and effectiveness.
Learn how to find an d remove snakes in your attic
, what to do if you are bitten by a snake
, and what you should do with a snake after you catch it
. Learn about different species of snakes, like the Banded Water Snake
, the Black Rat Snake
, the Brown Water Snake
the Copperhead Snake
, the Coral Snake
and the Corn Snake
. Find out if snakes have bones
, and which is the Deadliest Snake in the United States
“Snake” even the word is good enough to freeze blood inside vessels. These reptiles are never welcome in any property because of obvious reasons as nobody wants to put his life at stake. Interesting point to mention here is that there are some snakes, which can actually bring many advantages for your garden, but still we simply don’t want to them to be our guests. In case you are facing issues because snakes like to pay frequent visit to your property, then you should understand that there is something that is acting as a source of attraction for these reptiles and driving them away is all about eliminating the main source of attraction.
Below we will discuss some useful strategies that are helpful in keeping snakes away from your property.
- First of all, your job is to not allow any clutter to be placed inside the yard. People don’t give importance to the fact, but actually litter acts as an open invitation for snakes and the main reason it that it provides warmer and darker area where a snake can easily hide. Snakes will find piles of leaves, straw mulch etc. very much comfortable so you should focus upon removing these from your garden.
- It is better to avoid growing taller plants in your garden because there are different types of shrubs and plants which act as the best hiding places for neighborhood snakes. Keeping your grass in a perfectly trimmed form is going to prevent snakes from entering into your garden. Gardens that are actually packed with also act as a source of attraction for snakes.
- There are different types of snakes that are actually attracted towards water so you should focus upon removing all ground level water sources. Larger puddles need to be drained prior to the state where they start to attract snakes. Not only this, you should position ponds away from the property and these should be monitored properly for dealing with different types of snake related problems.
- You must try to understand that snakes are attracted towards different sources of food this means if you have problems related with rats or larger insects, then get rid of these as soon as possible. Use repellents, traps or call animal control for getting rid of these pests otherwise they will attract snakes towards your property.
- Snake proof fence is another decent option to consider here as its effectiveness is very much dependent upon the types of snakes that are actually present in your area. You should better consult this matter with experts as they can provide the best guidance in this regard.
In all conditions when you feel that situation is getting out of control, then it is better to call experts.
You are here to learn how to keep snakes away from your house or yard. This site is intended to provide snake education and information, so that you can make an informed decision
if you need to deal with a snake problem. This site provides many snake control articles and strategies, if
you wish to attempt to solve the problem yourself. If you are unable to do so, which is likely with many
cases of snake removal, please go to the home page and click the USA map, where I have wildlife removal experts
listed in over 500 cites and towns, who can properly help you with your nuisance snake. Click here to
read more about how to get rid of snakes