Problems Caused By Nuisance Wildlife
Nuisance wildlife has become the unofficial taxonomy for animals like squirrels, skunks, opossum, raccoons, coyotes, deer, and other urban critters who come into conflict with people. Depending on your locality, the term could also refer to other wildlife from rattlesnakes to woodpeckers, and even beavers. Advancement of urban development into forest and woodland areas has brought wildlife ever so close, but having a skunk under the porch or a woodchuck digging up your yard, is certainly not anyone’s idea of fun.
On the part of most property owners, "nuisance wildlife" means an animal that is destructive or menacing. According to a 2001 report by the U.S., Beavers, woodchucks, squirrels, and other species cause millions of dollars of damage to roads, bridges, dams, and electrical utilities. Here are some of the problems that these unwanted visitors cause for the property owner:
If you need wildlife help, click my Nationwide list of wildlife removal experts
for a pro near you.
- You’re treated to endless scurrying and scratching, gnawing, and pattering sounds, in early morning or daylight hours, from hidden places in your home. This is common with squirrels.
- After they have nested in your attic, squirrels leave balls of torn insulation, cardboard, and dried leaves and twigs behind.
- Opossums pose a health risk to your domestic animals like cats and horses as they have been found to transmit a serious disease known as Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis (EPM) through fecal contamination of feed and water.
- When bat guano accumulates in an attic overtime, it will become a large concentration of bat feces and start to produce mold spores, which can cause lung infections and respiratory illnesses like Histoplasmosis.
- Raccoons, opossums and woodchucks cause heavy damage in gardens and farms, where they feed heavily on crops or dig up your bulbs and seeds.
- They jeopardize your health by aiding the spread of disease. Raccoons may serve as host to disease-causing pathogens, including trichinosis, tuberculosis, round worm, infectious enteritis and coccidiosis.
- They chew on your electrical wiring and insulation, sometimes, irredeemably.
- Skunks will dig up lawns and gardens searching for insect larvae and grubs, and leaving holes in your yard.
- They leave you a pile of faecal material to remember them by.
- They rummage through your garbage can and generally leave a mess in your yard per visit.
- They chew on your wooden structures and leave holes in them; squirrels especially gnaw compulsively on wood to file their front teeth.
- The acidic faeces of pigeons eat away gutters and other metal structures, erode stone buildings, and burn lawns.
- They cause lingering odours in your attic, which only go away with severe treatment or simply over time.
- A squirrel’s nest in the attic fan poses a fire hazard when the movement of the blades is impeded and the motor overheats.
- They tend to die in the darndest places – like in a tight corner inside your attic. Getting them out of there could take a whole lot, plus the odor is unrivalled.
- Aside from other diseases, raccoons and skunks are primary carriers of rabies – a lethal brain infection that infects humans when they get bitten by these animals.
Many times over, home owners are the ones that inadvertently welcome nuisance animals into their stead. Some people even find watching them a pleasant activity initially, but all that changes when their destructive impact starts to show up in the house or garden. Needless to say, they very easily overstay their welcome.
Wild animals will take any chance they get to enter your property, but in order to not attract them by your own (in)actions, a couple of simple solutions will be proffered here. The biggest enticement for raccoons, skunks, opossum, and even bears in your area, is “food.” Eliminating the food source usually gets rid of most night visitors early enough before they decide to take up residence with you.
Common sources include dog and cat food left outside, either at your house or a neighbor’s house. Feeding pets indoors will easily remedy this problem. Another common food source is unsecured garbage and compost piles. Storing garbage in secure containers or buildings will solve this problem. When their food source is removed, most nuisance animals will move on. You should also block the common entry points for nuisance wildlife in your home, after ascertaining that no animal is already in residence. Such places include outbuildings and the space under decks and houses.
If all these fail, then you may need to call in the wildlife management professionals in your area to tackle the problem for you.
Are baby wild animals cute?
What is an exclusion barrier?
Is it safe to handle a wild animal with bare hands?
What is the best bait to trap a wild animal?
Different causes of bad odor in a house
How do I know if there are baby wild animals in the attic?
Should I feed a baby wild animal I found?
Will a wild animal in the attic have a nest of babies?
Will repellents get a rodent out of the attic?
Removing wild animals in the attic
How to get rodents out of the attic
Will a rodent in the attic have a nest of babies?
What animals like to live in attics?
Do wild animals in an attic damage insulation? How?
How do you know if you have a wild animal in your attic?
Do wild animals make good pets?
About the green anole
Do moth balls or ammonia help repel wild animals?
How to get animals out of the chimney
Why do woodpeckers peck on the house?
What are the risks of animals chewing on electric wires?
What do wildlife rehabilitators do with wild animals?
How should you clean wild animal waste within your attic?
What should I do if I find an orphaned baby wild animal wandering about?
How to get wild animals out of a wall
How to get rodents out of a wall
How to trap voles
How to get rid of voles
How to keep away voles
Do more rodents live in urban areas, or wild areas?
How to remove an animal living under a house
What are the most common types of animals that live in attics?
How to get an animal out of a tree
Where should I relocate a trapped animal?
What is the best bait to trap a rodent?
Is it legal for me to trap a rodent?
How to track wild animals
How much does nuisance wildlife removal cost?
Dangers of Animal Corpses
Will a pest control company remove a rodent?
What is a connibear trap?
What are the most common types of animals that poop on or in buildings?
How do I clean rodent feces out of my attic?
Will the city or county animal services help me with a rodent issue?
Will repellents get a wild animal out of the chimney?
What wild animals like to live in chimneys?
What animals chew on electric wires?
What should I do with a wild animal after I catch it?
What diseases do wild animals carry?
How to Dispose of Dead Animal Carcasses
How to get a dead animal out of your car
How to keep wild animals out of my garbage cans
What to do about a cage-shy wild animal
What is the best brand cage trap?
Removal of honey bees from house
What tools does a nuisance wildlife operator need?
Does relocated wildlife thrive or have difficulties surviving?
How to remove an Animal stuck down a wall
How do you remove a wild animal stuck in a dumpster?
Will a high pitch sound deterrent machine work?
How to use a snare pole
What are the types of rodent snap traps?
How to deodorize your house from a dead animal
What are some of the symptoms of a sick wild animal?
What to do about a trap-shy rodent
How to keep wild animals out from under a shed or porch
Scratching sounds in Attic or walls
What to do about a rodent on the roof
What should I do if I find a nest of rodents in the attic?
What equipment is needed to trap a rodent?
What to do if you find road kill
Exotic reptile species found in the world of Florida
Will repellents get wild animals out of attic?
How to remove wild animals in your chimney
Do relocated rodents survive?
What do wildlife rehabilitators do with rodents?
How to know if you have rabies
Do all wild animals have rabies?
How to keep wild animals away from your property
How to find and hire an effective wildlife control professional
Should you ever use poison to solve a wildlife problem?
Should I hire a pro or remove wild animals myself?
Are wild animal feces dangerous to touch or breathe?
How to keep frogs out of your pool or house
How to catch a wild animal with a snare pole
Should I ever poison a wild animal?
Do rodents enter a building through the plumbing?
What are the types of animals that eat your plants?
Do animals chew on water pipes?
How rodents communicate using pheromones
What are the most common types of animals that eat your pet?
How to keep wild animals out of my garden
Kinds of problems caused by nuisance wildlife
What should I do if I find a nest of wild animals in the attic?
Where should I relocate a trapped rodent?
Do mothballs or ammonia help repel rodents?
What problems do monkeys cause for people?
What property modifications will keep down rodent population?
What is a rodent’s mating habits?
How to get a wild animal out of a live trap
What are some ways to kill a wild animal in the yard?
How to kill voles
What is integrated pest Control?
How to keep wild animals out of your house
How to keep animals out of your garden
How to get wild animals out of the attic
How to get a job as a nuisance wildlife control operator
How to make and use a one-way door to remove animals in a house
Common causes of bad odors inside a house
Will home owners Insurance pay for wild animal damage?
How to remove and replace insulation in an attic
Inspecting the home to find the entry points used by animals
What if a rodent got inside my house?
What diseases do rodents carry?
What are some humane ways to kill a rodent?
What are some humane ways to kill a wild animal in a cage?
Why do Animals Die inside a House?
Will homeowners insurance pay for rodent damage?
How to Repair Different Types of Wildlife Damage and Entry Holes
How to keep away feral hogs
Will the city or the county animal services help me with a wild animal issue?
Do rodents make good pets?
How to keep rodents out of my garden
What kinds of animals destroy gardens?
How to keep rodents out of my garbage
How to use one-way exclusion funnels to remove rodents
Cuban tree frogs in Florida
How do you remove a rodent stuck in a dumpster?
What kinds of animals dig up your yard?
How to get rid of a Dead animal in the Air Conditioning Ducts
What is a one way exclusion door?
What to do if you find a dead dog
What is Canine Distemper?
Wild Animal Disease
What are the most common types of animals that dig up the yard?
What is the difference between pest control and wildlife removal?
What is a rodent’s natural diet?
What to do when an Animal dies under your House
How to find and remove a dead rodent
Is a wild animal that is active during the daytime rabid?
Are any nuisance wildlife dangerous to humans?
Are rodent feces dangerous to touch or breathe?
What kind of damage do rodents cause in an attic?
What kind of damage can animals cause in an attic?
How to cut a dead animal from inside a wall